Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Canon 7D Review Continues...

I thought I would give you all another update on the 7D. Upon further examination... the 7D isn't quite so bad in low light as I had imagined. One of the culprits for the amount of noise was actually Lightroom. Apparently Canon's Digital Photo Professional handles noise a LOT better than the current Lightroom. I've done a little research and it appears that others are having the same issue, and have found DPP to be superior in this respect. Lightroom beta 3 is being tested right now and, when released, should have some new noise algorithms.

I've also started setting up my custom functions. These are pretty useful, seeing as you can customize pretty much everything.

So yeah. A useful little update. I was sweating a little bit, but this makes me feel better. I'm not one for pixel-peeping, but noise is noise, and this is noise on a camera projected to perform amazingly well in low light high iso situations.

2 comments:

  1. Good review - I agree with the DPP point, it does handle noise control better than Lightroom - hopefully Adobe will fix this soon !


    Wedding Photographer South Wales

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this will be addressed fully in Lightroom 3. I'm not trying the beta as of right now so I don't know exactly what it looks like yet. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete