Saturday, July 10, 2010

Making the move...

Yeah, thats right.

I'm making the switch to full frame.

Some of you (probably no one) might be familiar with some of my first posts regarding the 7D and its performance. I got the 7d and loved it, but as I started shooting I began to realize that this camera was not made for someone of my shooting style. I do a lot of low light and shallow dof work, and the noise put out by the 7d did not make life easy. I have a problem with a camera having features that I shouldn't use, (iso 12,800 being completely unacceptable).

I wanted a camera that was able to record video, but I didn't care as to the quality so much as long as the still capture was good.

Well, the 7D ended up being a camera that was great at shooting video, but only ok at taking stills. I needed a camera that was great at taking stills, and ok at taking video. Enter the Canon 5D mark II.



The full frame sensor allows for greater image quality, higher resolution, less noise, greater dynamic range, and a more shallow dof. Not to mention there no longer being a need to multiply the focal length. The 5D Mark II does shoot video, but there is not as much effort put into it than in the 7d. I haven't received the 5d yet, but it should be here within the next couple of weeks. I'm having to sell my 7D as well as my Hasselblad (croak) to pay for it, but in the end I think its worth it.

Keep checking up on the blog to see my review/thoughts on the switch to full frame.


---I should note that the 7D is more than ok at taking stills. It has great resolution, but there was softness in the images that I didn't appreciate. The 8fps was great, but I think I used it in the field once. It has great features, but just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment