Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ti-83 TIme Lapse

I was asked to shoot a time lapse video for Mammoth a while back. I have never shot a time lapse video in the past, and so I was at a loss for how I was to get started. Fortunately, the internet exists. I found a couple pages about how to set up and edit, as well as information on exactly how to take the photos on a regular schedule. The main consensus on the websites I found was to buy an intervalometer which would attach into the camera's 2.5mm remote port and control the camera's shutter. I did not, however, want to spend $60.

Then, I found this website that instructed users how to program their TI-83 series graphing calculator to enable it to trip the shutter for the camera. I was skeptical, thinking there would be some hidden modification somewhere in the process that I wouldn't be smart enough to figure out. Wrong. Its easy. The tutorial on that site is fantastic, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in time-lapse that also owns a TI-80something.

I would also suggest Photojojo's guide to time-lapse. They've got a great explanation and step by step process regarding the planning of the video.

To test it out, I set up my Canon Rebel XT on a boom and attached the calculator to a clamp on the stand. After I made sure everything was the way I liked, I executed the program and voila, hundreds of still frames just waiting to be put together in a video.

TI-83 TIME LAPSE from Zac Henderson on Vimeo.

I was asked to shoot a time lapse video for Mammoth. I had never done it before, and so I searched around the net for tutorials. I came across a website that showed users how to program their Ti-83 graphing calculator so that it could be used as a timer for DSLRs enabling time lapse photography. Obviously I got it to work! This is just a test.



http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-a-TI-Graphing-Calculator-into-an-Intervalomet/



Music: Zero, by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

No comments:

Post a Comment